Monday 17 December 2012

28 Week Check Up - And A Confession.


I know with these blogs, some people would have appreciated it if I documented my whole pregnancy, but that's not why I wanted to start writing these. I wanted to start these because my partner and myself are wondering if I have depression and if I do then I hope I can give other people the confidence to talk to their health professional and seek advice regarding it. It's better late than never to start writing, but I actually have something that I believe is worth sharing... 


Well, I finally did it, after weeks of debating and refusing to acknowledge my situation; I hit the nail on the head and told the midwife how I felt at my 28 week check-up. Better late than never I suppose… I’ve only had three appointments this pregnancy as it’s my second, which I think is rather ridiculous and it’s meant that it’s been harder for me to actually tell someone how down I’m currently feeling. I think it helped that it wasn’t the midwife I’m assigned too as she was off for whatever reason and the woman I told had a really kind face and didn’t seem to judge, which is what I wanted when I told a professional about how I felt.

I remember waiting for my appointment in the reception part of the health center and my heart was beating like crazy and my palms were sweaty I was thinking, ‘I can’t do this, I can’t tell the midwife how I’m feeling… I don’t even know how to bring it up. It’s not a normal thing to be doing and everything is going to go wrong and she’s going to judge me and social services are going to get involved and my babies will be taken away from me…’

When I got called in I felt sick and dizzy, I couldn’t really do this, could I? I sat silently and answered the normal questions about how I was and how pregnancy had been so far, I lied through it saying I was good. Then she got to the questions where they have to record an answer, rather than just general chit chat and she asked me if I had been feeling down, low or depressed recently. I took this as my cue to finally get it off my chest and tell somebody. I said that actually, I had been feeling down and not myself at all. She looked sympathetic and handed me a tissue, sitting a little bit closer as I half cried half talked to her. When I had finally told her I felt so much better, like a huge weight had been lifted off of my shoulders and now something was going to get done about it at long last.

The midwife told me that telling someone was the hardest part and that she would write as much as she could down in the letters that she was going to send to my doctor and the mental health unit at the hospital so that I wouldn’t have to keep on repeating myself. Although deep down I knew that no matter how much she wrote I would still have to tell them for myself as they would want to hear what I had to say not the interpretation of the midwife, although it did make me feel that much better that she was trying to do something for me and save me more grievances further down the line. She also assured me that I was completely normal and that depression; whether it is during or after pregnancy was very common among women and it was nothing to be ashamed about. She said it that it was natural that after my miscarriage earlier in the year I was feeling the effects of it now I was pregnant again, but I was still completely normal.

She continued reassuring me until I had calmed myself down and was breathing normally again. She then said that she wasn’t palming me off onto other people, (the doctor and the hospital) but it had to be done because she wasn’t qualified to make a diagnosis and the doctor could work out if I needed to be on any medication or not. She did say though that as well as writing to the medical professionals she would also get my local sure start centre to contact me. She explained that they would call me up and make an appointment to come to my house and introduce themselves to myself and my family and then slowly, when I felt I was ready they would introduce me to baby and toddler groups and get me involved socially. She also went on to say that sure start would probably also offer me counselling sessions and that I ought to take them up on that offer because medication alone wouldn’t help. This I knew from studying psychology at A level a few years ago.

After all the panicking I did before, I left the room feeling much more positive about the whole situation now that I had gotten the ball rolling and that something was going to get done about how I felt. I promised the midwife that I would call up my doctor regarding a review about my mental health and my jabs and she arranged an appointment in three week’s time, for new year’s eve, day so we could see where things were in the system and to make sure nothing had gotten lost in between that time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment